BMW i3 for Sale in Sri Lanka
BMW i3 Review
The i3, which is designed and manufactured by the German automobile giant BMW, can be named as one of the most technologically advanced vehicles, to be currently available in Sri Lanka. Previously called the Mega City Vehicle (MCV), it is a 5-door hatchback electric city car, and was brought to life through the company's “Project i”, which aimed to create the next generation of fully electric cars.
The BMW i3 was the company’s first mass produced electric vehicle, and also had a number of other firsts to its name. The body of this car is built using carbon-fiber-reinforced polymer, which was the first vehicle of its kind, and helped the i3 to achieve a higher energy efficiency on the road. The car also comes with an optional feature that BMW calls as the range extender, where a small fuel powered engine is also included, but will act as an electric generator to extend the range of the car under challenging road conditions.
Top 10 Reasons to Consider When Buying a BMW i3
1. History and Facts about BMW i3
The car that has come to be loved by many electric vehicle fans in Sri Lanka as the BMW i3 is a relative newcomer to the global car market. First introduced to the world in 2013, the i3 has gained a lot of support and praise from many vehicle reviewers for its bold design and innovative technology.
The most interesting fact about the i3 is that according to the US Environmental Protection Agency, the BMW i3 was the most energy efficient vehicle of all time as of June 2015. However, even though being a luxury vehicle, the car can still be purchased for the same price as a Toyota Prius from the Sri Lankan market due to the country's complex tax code. Many third party distributors are now bringing down this vehicle to the country due to this reason, giving many Sri Lankans the opportunity to enjoy a luxury level electric car, yet to a mid-level price range of a hybrid vehicle.
2. BMW i3 Specifications And Performance
The BMW i3 is one of the leading fully electric vehicles currently available in the Sri Lankan vehicle market, and comes with a colorful range of performance related features to transport its passengers quickly and safely to their destinations.
- Type: Primary AC motor
- Motor Size: 125 kW
- Engine Size: 647 cc generator (only available with the range extender option)
- Cylinders: 2-cylinder (only available with the range extender option)
- Battery: 22 (usable 18.8) kWh lithium-ion
- Maximum Output: 125 kW
- Maximum Torque: 250 Nm
- Transmission: Single speed with fixed ratio
- Top Speed: 150 km/h
- Acceleration: 7.2 seconds (0-100 km/h)
- Steering Specs: Rack & Pinion
- Drive Type: Rear Wheel Drive
- Suspension (Front / Rear): Strut/ Multi-Link
- Brakes (Front / Rear): Ventilated Disc/ Solid Disc
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 3,999 mm x 1,775 mm x 1,578 mm
- Curb Weight: 1,195 kg (1,315 kg with range extender)
- Seating Capacity: 4-seats
3. BMW i3 Fuel Consumption
Due to its fully electric form factor the BMW i3 is primarily powered through a 125 kW AC motor, which also uses a single speed with fixed ratio transmission to move it forward. This has resulted in a considerably high maximum power output of 125 kW and a maximum torque of 250 Nm, compared to its other electric competitors.
However, the uniqueness of this car is that the BMW i3 does not compromise on its mileage and has recorded an economy of around 58 km/l on Sri Lanka’s cities and around 47 km/l on the countries highways. The car therefore has a combined mileage of roughly 52.7 km/l when compared to traditional fuel based engines making it one of the most environmentally and economically friendly vehicles found in Sri Lanka.
- Fuel Category: Electric Fuel
- Range (EPA Driving Cycle): 130 km/ 240 km (with the range extender option)
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 9 L (only available with the range extender option)
- CO2 Emissions: Zero Emissions Vehicle/ (13 g/km with the range extender)
4. Design and Features of BMW i3
Interior: As a luxury car, the interior of the BMW i3 comes with a range of advanced features such as
Air Filtration, Climate Control, Multi-Level Heating Seats, Height Adjustable Seats, Leatherette/ Cloth, Split-Folding Rear Seatback, 2 One-Touch Power Windows, Clock, Trip Computer, External Temperature Display, Cup Holders, Front Door Pockets, Electric Power Steering, Tilt And Telescopic Steering Wheel, Hands-Free Call Assistance, Destination Guidance, Cabin Heating, Electro Chromatic Inside Rearview Mirror, Illuminating Vanity Mirrors, AM/FM Stereo, USB Connection.
Exterior: The exterior of the i3 has a unique and distinctive design and comes with elements such as Speed Sensitive and Rain Sensing Wipers, Rear Defogger, Rear Window Wiper, Rear Spoiler, Alloy Wheels, All-Season Tires, Cargo Tie Downs, Daytime Running Lights, Front Fog/Driving Lights, LED Headlamp, Turn Signal Mirrors, Adaptive Headlights.
5. Available Color Options of BMW i3 in Sri Lanka
For Interior: Giga Cassia and Carum Spice Grey, Leather/ Cloth, Mega Carum Spice Grey and Carum Spice Grey, Leatherette/ Cloth, Tera Dalbergia Brown, Leather
For Exterior: Andesite Silver Metallic W/ BMW I Frozen Blue Accent, Arravani Grey W/ BMW I Frozen Blue Accent, Capparis White W/ BMW I Frozen Blue Accent, Ionic Silver Metallic W/ BMW I Frozen Blue Accent, Laurel Grey Metallic W/ BMW I Frozen Blue Accent, Solar Orange Metallic W/ Frozen Grey Accent
6. How is the Safety Rating And Associated Features of BMW i3
For being a small size compact electric vehicle, BMW has also focused on the safety department of this nifty car to give a comforting as well as a secure ride for its passengers.
- Assistance Services
- Lithium-Ion High-Voltage Battery Guard
- Carbon Fiber Life Module
- Park Assistant System
- Driving Assistant Plus System
- Remote Keyless Power Door Locks
- Cruise Control
- Rear Parking Sensors
- Anti-Lock Braking System
- Comprehensive Airbags
- Anti-Theft Alarm System
- Engine Immobilizer
- Dusk Sensing Headlamps
- Stability Control
- Emergency Braking Preparation
- Tire Pressure Monitoring
- Child Seat Anchors
- Emergency Braking Assist
- Daytime Running Lights
- Traction Control
- Post-Collision Safety System
- Brake Drying
7. What are the Standout Elements of BMW i3
Being a car designed by BMW, the most significant standout feature of the i3 are its high-end luxury features that helps its passengers relax and enjoy the ride.
Apart from the convenience options, the most significant standout element of the BMW i3 are its safety and security related features, which is certainly a plus point for most Sri Lankan commuters.
8. BMW i3 Compared To Other High-Featured Cars In Sri Lanka
For its highly advanced status, the BMW i3 can be compared with other fully electric vehicles such as the Nissan Leaf, the Volkswagen e-Golf and the Mitsubishi i-MiEV, which are all currently available for buying in Sri Lanka.
- BMW i3 vs. Nissan Leaf - The i3 has better fuel economy compared to the Leaf
- BMW i3 vs. Volkswagen e-Golf - The i3 has rear wheel drive compared to the e-Golf
- BMW i3 vs. Mitsubishi i-MiEV - The i3 has an additional range extending capability compared to the i-MiEV
9. Key Reasons to Buy a BMW i3
As a buyer who has an eye for innovative technologies, you should also consider the following aspects of the BMW i3, before arriving at your final buying decision.
- Highly advanced features for the comfort of its passengers
- Leading safety features for its electric class
- Having an authorized distributor for the model in Sri Lanka
- Smooth and comfortable ride
- Very good mileage compared to conventional fuel vehicles
One of the biggest disadvantages of the BMW i3, especially within the Sri Lankan market is its high price category. While this may be a turnoff for some buyers, the car does offer good value for money for the amount being paid.
The i3 only provides room for two adult passengers on its rear seat. However, those who take the rear seat can expect a smooth and comfortable ride with ample space to stretch their arms and legs.
10. Where to Find a BMW i3 for Sale in Sri Lanka
For a brand new BMW vehicle, the official dealer in Sri Lanka is the Prestige Automobile (Pvt) Ltd., which is located in the Battaramulla city. Nevertheless, for a buyer looking for a BMW i3 can also contact third party dealers, who are located in various cities throughout the country.
Discover the Selection of BMW i3 for Sale in Your City on Carmudi Sri Lanka
BMW i3 Price in Sri Lanka
The BMW i3 in its brand new condition can be obtained for a price of around Rs. 5,400,000 for a 2014 model and a price of around Rs. 5,800,000 for a 2015 model, subject to the facilities being offered. Used or reconditioned models are also available through some third party dealers, and can be obtained for roughly Rs. 5,150,000 for a 2014 model, depending on its overall condition.
BMW i3 Price List on Carmudi.lk
Price for New BMW i3
- BMW i3 Electric Drive 2014: Rs. 5,400,000
- BMW i3 2015: Rs. 5,500,000
- BMW i3 Pure Electric 2015: Rs. 5,800,000
Price for Reconditioned or Used BMW i3
- BMW i3 2014: Rs. 5,150,000