Kia Sportage for Sale in Sri Lanka
Kia Sportage Review
The Kia Sportage is a compact hatchback crossover that offers standard features for an affordable price. It conveys the needed performance and delivers the latest technology that one can expect from such an SUV. It is fuel-efficient and gives more gas mileage compared to some of its competitors. Some of the contenders in the market for the Sportage are, Ford Escape, Toyota RAV4, and the Honda CR-V. Without a doubt, this SUV has built a strong reputation among Sri Lankan road users; it is a model that can easily adapt to varied road conditions across the country.
A fun fact is that the Kia Sportage claimed its modern fame during and after 1996 Cricket World Cup, where the Man of the Match was gifted a wine red Sportage 1996 model. The winner was none other than our very own local Cricket star Arvinda De Silva, for his performance in the finals taking 3 wickets off 42 balls including a whopping 107 runs not out. This helped the model to win over the Asian market single-handedly.
Top 10 Reasons to Consider When Buying a Kia Sportage
1. History and Facts about Kia Sportage
First introduced to the world in 1993, the Kia Sportage is one of the most visible SUV models sold in our country. Given that the Sportage is a vehicle that delivers outstanding performance and value-for-money, it has easily been able to capture the market in Sri Lanka. Currently the Sportage is in its third generation, which has been in production since 2010. The first generation Sportage was designed based on the Mazda Bongo engineering platform. It was produced during the time when Kia was working together with Ford and Mazda, and came in as a five-door crossover and a two-door soft-top convertible.
The Sportage got a remake to its engine and a new design all together in 2005, which shared a Hyundai Tuscon chassis. Given the Kia’s takeover by Hyundai, the Sportage had a drop in customer interests in Sri Lanka up until 2010, where the new versions were made available, for an affordable cost under permits. This increased the sales where dealers were able to sell more units than the OEM.
2. Kia Sportage Specifications And Performance
For a well-built midrange vehicle, Kia Sportage comes with a number of advanced performance related specifications, to transport its passengers quickly and efficiently to their intended destinations.
- Type: Dual Continuously Variable Valve Timing (CVVT)
- Size: 2.0 L
- Cylinders: 4-cylinder
- Compression Ratio: 11.3:1
- Maximum Output: 130 kW @ 4,000 rpm
- Maximum Torque: 392 Nm @ 2,500 rpm
- Transmission: Electronically Controlled 6-Speed Automatic Overdrive w/ Sportmatic
- Top Speed: 195 km/h
- Acceleration: 9.8 seconds (0-100 km/h)
- Steering Specs: Motor Driven Power Steering (MDPS)
- Drive Type: Front Wheel Drive
- Suspension (Front / Rear): Independent MacPherson struts with anti-roll bar/ Independent multi-link
- Brakes (Front / Rear): Ventilated Type/ Solid Type
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 4440 mm x 1855 mm x 1635 mm
- Curb Weight: 1,403 kg
- Seating Capacity: 5-seats
3. Kia Sportage Fuel Consumption
The third generation Kia Sportage is currently using a 2.0 L CRDi 136 and 184 hp Hyundai R diesel engine, which is similar to Hyundai Sonata 2.0 T. In the 2014 model, the vehicle is enhanced with headlamps and fog lamps. The new 2014 model comes in two variants. First, 2.0/ 2.4-liter four-cylinder gasoline engine, or the second one with 2.0-liter R diesel engine.
The low weight and an aluminum construction of the engine has helped to reduce the fuel consumption of this SUV. According to verified figures, the Kia Sportage is capable of achieving around 12 km/l on a combined drive cycle, giving much needed range for the commuters in Sri Lanka.
- Fuel Category: Petrol/ Diesel
- Recommended Fuel Type: Octane 95 unleaded/ Super Diesel
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 55 L
- CO2 Emissions: 192 g/km (EURO 3 compliant)
4. Design and Features of Kia Sportage
Interior: The interior of the Kia Sportage comes with a range of advanced facilities that includes
Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Bluetooth Interface, Audio Aux/ USB Port, Rear Spoiler, AM/ FM Radio, Surround Sound System, Rear-Camera Display, Hands-Free Connectivity, Trip Computer, Tilt And Telescopic Steering, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Push-Button Start, Automatic Climate Control, Rear-View Mirror, Illuminated Glove Box, Overhead Sunglasses Holder, Vanity Mirrors, Storage Compartment, Cargo Light.
Exterior: The exterior of the Sportage is a statement to Kia’s aesthetic design and provides features such as
Auto Headlights, Rain Sensing Wipers, Electrical Retractable Side Mirrors, Fog Lamps, Side Mirror Indicators, Knockdown Rear Seats, Leather Seats, Leather Steering Wheel, Exterior Door Handles, Body-Color Bumpers, Rear Spoiler, Roof Rails, Body-Color Mirrors, Heated Outside Mirrors, Solar Control Glass, Sound-Absorbing Front Windshield, Privacy Glass, Heated Rear Glass, Windshield Wipers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Projector Beam Headlights, Front Fog Lights.
5. Available Color Options of Kia Sportage in Sri Lanka
For Interior: Alpine Gray Cloth, Black Cloth
For Exterior: Black Cherry, Bright Silver, Clear White, Mineral Silver, Sage Green, Sand Track, Signal Red, Twilight Blue
6. How is Safety Rating And Associated Features of Kia Sportage
The Kia Sportage is offered with a range of safety features that can even put some high-end vehicles found in Sri Lanka to shame. Some of these advanced facilities include:
- Traction Control System (TCS)
- Cruise Control
- Remote Boot Release
- Front Fog Lamps
- Reverse Sensors
- Advanced Airbags
- Rollover Sensor
- 3-Point Seat Belts for All Seating Positions
- Seat-Belt Pretensioners
- Antilock Braking System (ABS)
- Vehicle Stability Management (VSM)
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- Electronic Brake-Force Distribution (EBD)
- Brake Assist System (BAS)
- Hill Start Assist Control (HAC)
- Downhill Brake Control (DBC)
- Tire-Pressure Monitoring
- Side-Impact Door Beams
- Front and Rear Crumple Zones
- Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH)
- Rear Child-Safety Door Locks
7. What are the Standout Elements of Kia Sportage
The Sportage comes with comfort features such as ventilated driver’s seats. It also includes a panoramic sunroof and fully automatic climate control system, which can be adjusted separately for the driver and the passengers. Furthermore, the model has a 4.2-inch TFT LCD screen that displays a range of vehicle related information.
Another aspect of it standout capability can be noted within its highly advanced safety features. Sometimes even in par with facilities that are being offered by some luxury vehicles, the Sportage clearly managed to distinguish itself through the level of security being provided.
8. Kia Sportage Compared To Other High-Featured SUV’s In Sri Lanka
There are a number of competitors for the Kia Sportage within the Sri Lankan market. Ideally, it can be compared with the Honda HR-V, the Mitsubishi Outlander and the Nissan X-Trail that are commonly found within the island.
- Kia Sportage vs. Honda HR-V - The Sportage has a more powerful engine compared to the HR-V
- Kia Sportage vs. Mitsubishi Outlander - The Sportage is cheaper in price compared to the Outlander
- Kia Sportage vs. Nissan X-Trail - The Sportage is lighter compared to the X-Trail
9. Key Reasons to Buy a Kia Sportage
If you are a buyer who is considering on buying this highly appealing SUV, then also remember to consider the following aspects that can help you to make a better purchase decision in the future.
- Futuristic and modern design for the pleasure of the eye
- Well-built powerful engine for its family SUV class
- Superb handling features on Sri Lanka’s busy cities
- Outstanding safety features for the passengers
- Very high aftermarket value in Sri Lanka
One of the biggest disadvantages of the Kia Sportage is its high price margin in Sri Lanka, even for secondhand models. However, the vehicle does offer an outstanding level of features making it an excellent value for money SUV.
Some reviewers have noted that the back seat space provided was not up to their expectations. Nevertheless, the Sportage can facilitate three full-grown adults in its rear seat with relative ease.
10. Where to Find a Kia Sportage for Sale in Sri Lanka
The authorized distributor for branded Kia vehicles sold in Sri Lanka is the KIA Motors (Lanka) Limited, which is located in No. 297, Union Place, Colombo 02. However, for those who would like to explore their options in finding the Kia Sportage of their choice, can also look through the dozens of third party distributors who are located in various cities across the country.
Discover the Selection of Kia Sportage for Sale in Your City on Carmudi Sri Lanka
Kia Sportage Price in Sri Lanka
As of 2015, a Kia Sportage SUV in a reconditioned or used state can be obtained from the Sri Lankan market for around Rs. 2,850,000 for a 2005 model and around Rs. 5,800,000 for a 2013 model, subject to its overall secondhand condition.
Kia Sportage Price List on Carmudi.lk
Price for Reconditioned or Used Kia Sportage
- Kia Sportage 2005: Rs. 2,850,000
- Kia Sportage 2007: Rs. 3,300,000
- Kia Sportage 2008: Rs. 3,575,000
- Kia Sportage 2010: Rs. 4,020,000
- Kia Sportage 2011: Rs. 4,450,000
- Kia Sportage 2012: Rs. 5,125,000
- Kia Sportage CRDi 2012: Rs. 5,390,000
- Kia Sportage AWD 2012: Rs. 5,500,000
- Kia Sportage 2013: Rs. 5,800,000
- Kia Sportage CRDI 2013: Rs. 5,900,000