Mazda Familia for Sale in Sri Lanka
Mazda Familia Review
The Familia falls into the class of a small family car, subcompact or a compact car, and this may be one of the reasons for why it is popular with Sri Lankan car owners. The vehicles are good for Colombo’s city as well as other driving conditions seen in the country, and with their longevity, they became an attractive option for many Sri Lankans looking for a family car. The Mazda Familia is widely available as sedan, hatchback, or wagon. The Familia’s sister version, the Ford Laser, has always been a popular entrant (and sometimes a winner) at races within the local context.
The Familia has seen many changes and modifications over its illustrious history. The later generations (6th to 9th) have shown a greater inclination towards sporty aspects and unique styling, with the car in a trapezoid shape with a “flush surfaces” design. Additionally, the rigid body, which attained some impressive aerodynamics, also brought in recognition to the model, given its uniqueness compared to some of its competitors.
Top 10 Reasons to Consider When Buying a Mazda Familia
1. History and Facts about Mazda Familia in Sri Lanka
The Mazda Familia is marketed around the world under the names of Mazda 323 and Mazda Protégé. Additionally, it was also rebadged as Ford Laser in Asia. As a small car from Mazda and manufactured in Japan, the vehicle has been in the market since 1963 (now in the 9th generation), and is now replaced by the Mazda 3 (export version) or as Axela in the Japanese domestic market. However, the Mazda Familia is popular in Sri Lanka with vehicle owners and aficionados since its third generation, because of its hardy and resilient nature.
The Mazda Familia is a practical, economical, and yet stylish package with features a buyer would not find in a Toyota on a similar price range. The Mazda Familia cars are serviced and sold by both Car Mart Ltd as well as Colonial Motors Ceylon Ltd in Sri Lanka.
2. Mazda Familia Specifications and Performance
The Mazda Familia has a surprisingly powerful engine for its class that can handle even the most challenging roads seen in our country.
Mazda Familia Engine Specs
- Type: Line Engine 4-Moteur DOHC
- Size: 1.5 L/ 1.6 L/ 1.8 L
- Cylinders: 4-Cylinder
- Compression Ratio: 9.00:1
- Maximum Output: 100.7 kW @ 7000 rpm
- Maximum Torque: 157 Nm @ 4500 rpm
- Transmission: 5-Speed Manual/ 4-Speed Automatic
- Top Speed: 185 km/h
- Acceleration: 9 seconds (0-100 km/h)
- Steering Specs: Rack and Pinion
- Drive Type: Front Wheel Drive
- Suspension (Front / Rear): McPherson type/ Strut type
- Brakes (Front / Rear): Ventilated Discs/ Drum
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 4365 mm x 1695 mm x 1410 mm
- Curb Weight: 1,090 kg
- Seating Capacity: 5-Seats
3. Mazda Familia Fuel Consumption
The first few generations of the Mazda Familia had the then-popular longitudinal engine setup with rear-wheel drive. From the fourth generation onwards, it became a front-wheel drive car with a transversely mounted engine. Sports versions such as GTX, GTR and GT-Ae had four-wheel drive setup with limited slip differential and a turbocharged 1.8-liter BP engine. Some versions were available with an All-wheel drive setup. The Mazda Familia engines received a single point fuel injection system instead of a carburetor in 1991. The latest Familia marketed in Sri Lanka is outfitted with an in-line 4 cylinder, 16-valve engine with DOHC.
The fuel economy of the later generations of the Mazda Familia were at a very good level. According to figures, this car was able to achieve around 14.5 km/l under a combined drive cycle even on rough roads.
Fuel Category: Petrol
Recommended Fuel Type: Regular Unleaded (A-92)
Fuel Tank Capacity: 60 L
CO2 Emissions: 169 g/km
4. The Design and Features of the Mazda Familia
The design of the Mazda Familia is striking and simply beautiful when seen on the road. What makes this car special is that even though it is not in production, the design itself has been far head of its time thanks to Mazda’s innovative capabilities. The front side of the Mazda Familia is sharp with narrow headlights and a front grill, and its rather prominent front bumper further exemplifies this looks. The hood is longer to facilitate its capable engine while the center cabin is larger to provide space for five full-grown passengers. The cabin is also equipped with a range of features to keep its occupants busy, for a longer time-consuming journey.
Mazda Familia Interior: Air Conditioner Front, AM/ FM Stereo, CD Audio System, Cassette Radio, Cup Holders, DVD Player, Heated Seats, Power Seats, Power Steering, Power Door Locks, Power Window, Steering Wheel Tilt, Falling Down Type Rear Seat, Car Navigation System.
Mazda Familia Exterior: Alloy Wheels, Tinted Glass, Power Mirrors, Front Fog Lamp, Xenon Headlight, Front Spoiler, UV Cutting Glass, Interval Wiper, Keyed Bumpers.
5. Available Color Options of Mazda Familia in Sri Lanka
For Interior: Black, Gray, and Beige
For Exterior: Pure White, Lightwrite Silver Metallic, Rednet Red Mica, Galaxy Gold Metallic
6. Safety Rating and Associated Features of the Mazda Familia
The Mazda Familia comes with a number of safety related features to keep its passengers and driver safe for the journey.
- Airbag (Driver)
- Airbag (Passenger)
- Airbag (Side)
- Centralized Door Lock
- Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS)
- Child Seat Fixed With Seat Belt
- Rear ELR3 Point Seatbelt
- Front-Seat Pretensioner Seatbelt
- Fourth Limited Front Seatbelt
- Side Impact Bar
7. Standout Elements of the Mazda Familia
The later models of the Mazda Familia has been given a gauge cluster, which looks like one from a high-end sports car. Tiptronic transmission with pedal shifters on steering wheel (optional) makes it an ideal car for an economical drive as well as an adrenaline rush-inducing sporty ride.
The integral audio system on the fascia panel makes it a part of the car. 16-inch alloy wheels ensure better stability and a plush exterior look.
8. Mazda Familia, Compared to Other High-Featured Cars in Sri Lanka
The Mazda Familia, for being a family car, can be compared with other similar car models such as the Ford Laser, the Nissan Sunny and the Toyota Axio.
Mazda Familia vs. Ford Laser - The Familia has a better fuel economy when compared to the Laser
Mazda Familia vs. Nissan Sunny - The Familia comes with a more powerful engine compared to the Sunny
Mazda Familia vs. Toyota Axio - The Familia has a quicker acceleration when compared to the Axio
9. Key Reasons to Buy a Mazda Familia
If you are a buyer who is also considering to purchase this car from the Sri Lankan market, then remember to consider the following pros and cons of this car as well, which will allow you to arrive at a more informed buying decision.
- Wide range of comfort and safety related features
- Good level of handling capabilities
- Excellent fuel economy
- High aftermarket value in Sri Lanka
- Admirable interior space
One of the main disadvantages of the Mazda Familia is that this car is no longer in production. However, due to its long history in Sri Lanka, spare parts are widely available among prominent vehicle dealers.
Apart from that, some drivers may consider the inbuilt infotainment system of the Mazda Familia to be a bit outdated compared to most popular vehicle models available in Sri Lanka. Nevertheless, an updated system can be installed in this car without much trouble for the owner.
10. Where to Find a Mazda Familia for Sale in Sri Lanka?
As of 2016, a prospective buyer who is searching for a Mazda Familia can find a suitable model from a third party reseller in Sri Lanka. Such sellers can be found within prominent cities mentioned below.
Discover the Selection of Mazda Familia for Sale in Your City on Carmudi Sri Lanka
Reconditioned and Used Mazda Familia in Colombo
Reconditioned and Used Mazda Familia in Gampaha
Reconditioned and Used Mazda Familia in Badulla
Reconditioned and Used Mazda Familia in Kalutara
Reconditioned and Used Mazda Familia in Matale
Mazda Familia Price in Sri Lanka
The Mazda Familia, given its intense popularity, is still resold at notable price margins. Starting from about Rs. 1.2 million for the older (1997 and above) versions, the recent versions of the Familia such as the Axela 2003 has a resell value of about Rs. 2.1 million.
Mazda Familia Price List on Carmudi.lk
Price for Reconditioned or Used Mazda Familia (As Of 2016)
- Mazda Familia XJ 1982: Rs. 235,000
- Mazda Familia 1983: Rs. 260,000
- Mazda Familia 1985: Rs. 295,000
- Mazda Familia 1986: Rs. 425,000
- Mazda Familia XJ 1987: Rs. 525,000
- Mazda Familia 323 1988: Rs. 550,000
- Mazda Familia 1989: Rs. 600,000
- Mazda Familia 1990: Rs. 675,000
- Mazda Familia 323 1991: Rs. 790,000
- Mazda Familia 323 Wagon 1992: Rs. 825,000
- Mazda Familia 323 1993: Rs. 850,000
- Mazda Familia 1994: Rs. 950,000
- Mazda Familia 1995: Rs. 975,000
- Mazda Familia 1996: Rs. 1,050,000
- Mazda Familia Butterfly 1997: Rs. 1,225,000
- Mazda Familia 1998: Rs. 1,375,000
- Mazda Familia BJ3P 1999: Rs. 1,600,000
- Mazda Familia BJ 5 2000: Rs. 1,685,000
- Mazda Familia BJ3 2001: Rs. 1,790,000
- Mazda Familia BJ5W Auto 2003: Rs. 2,045,000