Volkswagen Beetle for Sale in Sri Lanka
Volkswagen Beetle Review
The Beetle, from the German automobile giant Volkswagen, is undoubtedly one of the few vehicles that has a long history in Sri Lanka. Designed and built nearly 80 years ago, this car was famously called the “Peoples Car”, due to its simple yet innovative design that became an icon in the automotive industry. The Volkswagen Beetle, particularly its current iteration is now a very capable compact hatchback car, which is built to be highly appealing for younger middle class vehicle buyers. The car itself provides a maximum power of roughly 118 kW at around 5,800 rpm and a torque of around 240 Nm at just 1,500 rpm. Coupled with a strong drivetrain, the modern Volkswagen Beetle can achieve a top speed of more than 200 km/h and an acceleration of around eight seconds, from 0-100 km/h, proving that it is truly a small size super car, ideally suitable for the Sri Lankan roads.
Top 10 Reasons to Consider When Buying a Volkswagen Beetle
1. History and Facts about Volkswagen Beetle in Sri Lanka
The legendary car that practically all Sri Lankan’s have come to know as the Volkswagen Beetle, is without a doubt one of the few vehicle models that managed to make an everlasting mark on our domestic vehicle market. It is by far one of the longest running vehicle nameplates in the world. Introduced to the world even before World War 2, the Beetle has come to represent a clear marking point in the history of the family car.
The current iteration of the Volkswagen Beetle is a reviewed model of its legendary lineage, which was discontinued in 2003. However, the car was redesigned by Volkswagen to be more suitable for the modern car market, which gave it a sportier outlook in the process. As a result, the new Beetle is more agile, to tackle various road conditions found in cities throughout the world.
2. Volkswagen Beetle Specifications and Performance
The Volkswagen Beetle comes with a very capable engine, which is designed by Volkswagen to produce enough power to move its wheels in any road condition seen in Sri Lanka.
Volkswagen Beetle Engine Specs
- Type: 4-cylinder in-line TSI Twincharger
- Size: 1.2 L/ 1.4 L/ 1.8 L
- Cylinders: 4-Cylinder
- Compression Ratio: 7.5:1
- Maximum Output: 118 kW @ 5,800 rpm
- Maximum Torque: 240 Nm @ 1,500 rpm
- Transmission: 7-Speed DSG Transmission
- Top Speed: 207 km/h
- Acceleration: 8.3 seconds (0-100 km/h)
- Steering Specs: Power Assisted Rack And Pinion
- Drive Type: Front Wheel Drive
- Suspension (Front / Rear): MacPherson strut/ Transverse supported by anti-sway bar
- Brakes (Front / Rear): Ventilated disc/ Disc
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 4278 mm x 1808 mm x 1486 mm
- Curb Weight: 1366 kg
- Seating Capacity: 4-seats
3. Volkswagen Beetle Fuel Consumption
The base engine of the Volkswagen Beetle is powered using a much more capable 1.4 L or a 1.8 L locomotive, which also utilizes a 7-Speed DSG Transmission to move its drive train. As a result, the Beetle can produce more than 100 kW of power and more than 200 Nm of torque, for daily commuting purposes.
The fuel economy figures of the Volkswagen Beetle is at an admirable level and the car is reported to be able to reach around 10.6 km/l on a city and roughly around 14.4 km/l on a highway in Sri Lanka.
Fuel Category: Petrol
Recommended Fuel Type: Regular Unleaded
Fuel Tank Capacity: 55 L
CO2 Emissions: 143 g/km (As tested by LTA)
4. The Design and Features of the Volkswagen Beetle
The design of the Volkswagen Beetle is nothing short of being iconic and legendary for any vehicle that was imported to Sri Lanka. The front side of this car is smoothly shaped with many round edges and has a sloping hood, which is a clear and recognizable distinguishing factor of the Volkswagen Beetle. The headlights are round shaped, which is also a unique feature and are placed near the front wheels of this car. The exterior of the cabin also has the sloping round shape feature and provides plenty of space as well as modern comfort and convenience facilities for the passengers. The rear side of the car is smaller compared to most other vehicles and is offered with a relatively smaller size back door, which also has a rear spoiler for aesthetic purposes.
Volkswagen Beetle Interior: Air Conditioning, Climate Control, Trip Computer, AM/FM Stereo, CD Audio System, Cassette Radio, Cup Holders, DVD Player, TV, Remote Key Fobs, Cruise Control, Ambient Lighting, Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Telescopic Steering Column, Gearshift Knob, Heated Front Seats, Center Front Armrest, Glovebox, Rearview Mirror, Cloth Seating Surfaces, Bluetooth Connectivity, USB Port.
Volkswagen Beetle Exterior: Alloy Wheels, Automatic Headlights, Spoiler, 3-Doors, Vehicle Illumination, Daytime Running Lights, Front And Rear Bumpers, Badging, Sunroof, Heated Side Mirrors, Heated Windshield Washer, Exterior Mirrors, Rear Spoiler.
5. Available Color Options of Volkswagen Beetle in Sri Lanka
For Interior: Titan Black Cloth
For Exterior: Black Uni, Habanero Orange Metallic, Platinum Gray Metallic, Pure White, Reflex Silver Metallic, Silk Blue Metallic, Tornado Red
6. Safety Rating and Associated Features of the Volkswagen Beetle
The safety is definitely an important factor that was looked into when designing this car and its modern iteration is offered with a range of safety and security features to protect its passengers.
- Rearview Camera System
- Blind Spot Monitor
- Crash-Optimized Front End
- Driver and Front Passenger Front Airbag Supplemental Restraint System
- 3-Point Safety Belts for All 4 Seating Positions
- Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH)
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- Anti-Slip Regulation (ASR)
- Electronic Differential Lock (EDL)
- Engine Brake Assist (EBA)
- Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS)
- Electronic Brake-Pressure Distribution (EBD)
- Hydraulic Brake Assist (HBA)
- Intelligent Crash Response System (ICRS)
- Automatic Post-Collison Braking System
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
7. Standout Elements of the Volkswagen Beetle
One of the key standout elements of this car is in fact its very capable engine that can produce more than 100 kW of power, even for a 1.8 L locomotive. This helps the car to tackle almost all road conditions seen in Sri Lanka.
The Volkswagen Beetle has a range of modern features to provide comfort to its driver and passengers. This helps the vehicle to distinguish itself among other popular hatchbacks sold in our country.
8. Volkswagen Beetle, Compared to Other High-Featured Cars in Sri Lanka
It is possible to compare the Volkswagen Beetle with other similar models from competing brands such as the Toyota Vitz, the Honda CR-Z and the Mazda 323.
Volkswagen Beetle vs. Toyota Vitz - The Beetle has a higher top speed when compared to the Vitz
Volkswagen Beetle vs. Honda CR-Z - The Beetle comes with a more powerful engine compared to the CR-Z
Volkswagen Beetle vs. Mazda 323 - The Beetle has a higher acceleration compared to the Mazda 323
9. Key Reasons to Buy a Volkswagen Beetle
If you are also thinking about buying this advanced car, then remember to look at the pros and cons of this vehicle that can give you a better understanding of your buying decision.
- Outstanding comfort and convenience features
- Highly admirable fuel economy
- Excellent safety and security features
- High aftermarket value
- Powerful engine performance for its class
One of the key notable disadvantages of the Volkswagen Beetle, particularly when buying a new vehicle, is its very high price margin. While this might be a turn off for some buyers, the car does offer a range of innovative features for the passengers.
The new Volkswagen Beetle is not a particularly widely used car in the Sri Lankan vehicle market. Due to this, the availability of spare parts might be a bit low outside major city areas. However, it is still not impossible and can be obtained through dealers particularly in Colombo.
10. Where to Find a Volkswagen Beetle for Sale in Sri Lanka?
If a buyer is looking for a new Volkswagen Beetle from the Sri Lankan market, then the best available option is to get in contact with the authorized distributor for the brand, the Senok Trade Combine (Pvt) Ltd, which is located in Colombo 05. Apart from that, this car is also available through a number of third party distributors, who are based within the cities mentioned below.
Discover the Selection of Volkswagen Beetle for Sale in Your City on Carmudi Sri Lanka
New Reconditioned and Used Volkswagen Beetle in Colombo
New Reconditioned and Used Volkswagen Beetle in Kandy
New Reconditioned and Used Volkswagen Beetle in Gampaha
Volkswagen Beetle Price in Sri Lanka
As of 2016, a Volkswagen Beetle car in its brand new state can cost a prospective buyer more than Rs. 8,000,000, depending on the level of features being offered. An old Volkswagen Beetle either in a reconditioned or in a used status is more affordable, and can cost between Rs. 200,000 to Rs. 1,850,000, subject to its condition and the built year.
Volkswagen Beetle Price List on Carmudi.lk
Price for Brand New and Used Volkswagen Beetle (As Of 2016)
- Volkswagen Beetle VW 1300 2015: Rs. 8,500,000
- Volkswagen Beetle 1200 1956: Rs. 200,000
- Volkswagen Beetle 1969: Rs. 210,000
- Volkswagen Beetle 1973: Rs. 325,000
- Volkswagen Beetle 1976: Rs. 375,000
- Volkswagen Beetle VW 1300 1977: Rs. 400,000
- Volkswagen Beetle 2000: Rs. 1,250,000
- Volkswagen Beetle 2003: Rs. 1,850,000